Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Post-Denture Appointment & My Health

Yesterday, (February 29, 2016) I had a dental check-up to see how I was healing after the extractions. Really, I went in because I am still in pain and thought there might be something wrong. Everything looked great though.

He said I'd actually been wearing the denture TOO much for my gums being so raw. Most people wear there's for a few hours a day. I'd been weaing mine all day and only taking them out at night. I thought that's what he told me to do. Oops! He said to help my gums heal faster, I should take them out for a few hours a day to let my gums breathe. Idk when I'll do that. Nap time? Wait a little longer to put it in in the morning? Take it out earlier in the evening?

I am still on Ammoxicillion for the strep I found out I had last week, but my throat no longer hurts and am no longer contagious. I do have an odd teenage boy voice still and a very nasty persistent nagging cough. I have an appointment with my PCP today to see what's going on with that.

2 comments:

  1. You're blog is really reassuring. I am 32 and I think I'm going to have to get dentures. I have so many broken teeth, cavities, enamel breaking off, etc. I actually take good care of my teeth and that's the most frustrating part! I am seriously depressed over my teeth. I feel like I can't smile like I want, I hate talking to people because I fear they are looking at my mouth, and I just got married last July and fear my husband won't be attracted to me if I have all of my teeth pulled and have to get dentures. Yours are so beautiful and I'm so happy you have supportive family. I really admire you for this. It's a traumatic thing in my opinion, at least for me, to have to deal with this at such a young age. I'm absolutely terrified to make the first step in going back to the dentist. I'm extremely embarrassed to have a professional look inside my mouth :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way as you. Embarrassed for anyone to see my teeth. Be it a relative or professional. I finally made the choice when it was February and I had already gotten three teeth pulled. My husband was spending too much money on my teeth. The procedure went very fast. From first appointment to the day I had the extractions and teeth pulled was three weeks. I will have had my denture three weeks tomorrow (February 10, 2016), so look for another blog, then.

      I appreciate you reading. I really hope I have helped you in some way. I am also a 32 year old female. I know the sadness hiding behind a closed-mouth smile or being scared of strangers talking to you. Going to the dentist for a denture consultation will be the smartest move you'll ever make.

      Keep in touch <3

      Delete