Thursday, March 17, 2016

Extractions & Immediate Denture: Four Weeks Later

It has been four weeks since I've had all of my upper teeth extracted and my beautiful immediate denture placed.

Last week my denture started to fit loosely. So, I started using adhesives. I had a couple samples from the dentist. Whatever the white/cloudy adhesive is that I tried, it was HORRIBLE! I could not get the glue off unless I scrubbed the roof of my mouth with a damp washcloth. The pink adhesive I used ended up being my favorite. It held better and was much easier to remove. Came off with some toothpaste and my toothbrush.

This past Monday, I went to the dentist and had a soft reline done.

The soft reline started off as a rubbery gel and was added to the entire inside of my denture. The rubbery goop-filled denture was then put it my mouth. I was told to bite down and to make sure that when my mouth was closed, it felt like a comfortable resting position for my teeth.

After about 4-6 minutes (that seemed like 10), the goo filled denture was removed. The dentist had some tools for filing down the excess rubbery reline. This goop turned into a soft, but rubbery, perfect mold of my gums. It was supposed to make my denture fit more comfortably.

After she was finished filing and trimming the reline, she had me put the denture in my mouth. It definitely wasn't loose anymore, but there were some rough edges towards the back. I asked if she could smooth them. I went to take out my denture for her and I couldn't remove it.

The soft reline molded so well with my gumline and the roof of my mouth, that it was an actual struggle to take it out!

That's a good thing!

Later that evening, I noticed a very harsh rubbing on the backs of my denture. I could tell they were going to cause sore spots (canker sores). Instead of going back to the dentist, I took matters into my own hands. I used clippers to chop the bigger chunks away and a file to smooth them down. Then, they were perfect. Today, still perfect. No sore spots.

It's Thursday, now. I had the soft reline done on Monday. I have yet to use any adhesives and I have yet had the need to use any adhesives. That makes me happy.

I am amazed at how much the soft reline has improved the way I speak, hold my mouth shut or wide open (pictured below) with the denture slipping out of place. I have even been eating everything, even meat. I still need to cut certain things in smaller bites (pictured below), but that's okay. I'm still new to this game.

I won't blog as often anymore, especially not weekly, because I feel the majority of my transition has happened and I've talked about it. Explained it all in my own words. I will touch base periodically, though.

Week four's awesome things:
• Pain free.
• No need for adhesives.
• Not thinking twice about smiling.
• Back to eating most solids.
• Happiness.

<3

2 comments:

  1. They look so beautiful and natural too. This blog is so very encouraging. I read all of the posts involving your teeth and I found them so helpful and relatable as well as inspirational. I am 39 and medically complex. I am now on the 3rd dentist I've tried to get this process started. I'm hoping and praying things work out with him soon. I'm so tired of the shame and self loathing that goes along with my smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maria, I am so proud of you for not giving up! A lot of dentists will not try dentures. Instead they'll want you to pay SO MUCH MORE money to repair your teeth. Hopefully, this will be the dentist who understands your needs, and you will have have your smile again.

      As far as the shame and self-loathing, I understand you COMPLETELY. I was so depressed about my teeth. The depression and anxiety over them got so intense, I (as a stay at hom wife and mother of three) wouldn't go to stores alone. I was afraid people would talk to me.. then I'd have to talk back. Mostly, I just closed-mouthed smiled and nodded a yes or no.

      I'm so glad you read through my blogs and that you found them helpful, relatable and inspirational. That was my MAIN goal when I decided to write about my journey.

      Thank you, so much, for your courage to comment as your true self, Maria. I wish you all the luck in the world! Please feel free to comment more if you have additional questions or anything.

      :)

      Delete